Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Sandbox Redux

When I was little, my father built us a sandbox in a tree - REALLY!  Our city property dropped off into a neighborhood ravine; there was a huge tree with three trunks that reached up from the ravine through our property, and reached into the clouds (at least that was my perception at the time). My dad - my hero - built a combination tree-house/sandbox surrounding those three massive trunks.  An adjacent branch held our rope swing.  From our sandbox, we could swing into the abyss...or build sand castles, farms, sand pies.  I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED that sandbox, and spent many memorable childhood days playing in and around it.

I still loving playing in my sandbox; my "sandbox" now is our 11-acre country property where I can dig, plant, dream to my heart's content.....and I do.  I spent today doing the last of the fall transplants to new locations, will spend tomorrow digging in the last of next spring's bulbs.  I don't even know how to begin to explain to others the joy I get from digging in the garden or flower beds, inhaling the rich earth smell, seeing the fruits of those labors emerge next spring and summer as a  bright and varied array of flowers, foliage, fruits.  I hope that I will never outgrow the joy of this "sandbox" endeavor!











3 comments: