Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Today's Work

When I started this blog at the beginning of this month in response to the 30-day blog challenge, I said it would be a reflection of what I do with my days and how I live this part of my life called retirement.  So far, I've not really done much of that at all; instead I've shared my views and perspectives on a variety of topics, sometimes playing off fellow bloggers in this challenges, sometime based on events, songs, photos, or other things that sent my mind in a direction that seemed worth commenting on.

Today though, I'm sharing my retirement "work"; three quilts that I'm working on concurrently, each in a different phase of completion.  I mostly design my own quilts now, rather than relying on copying the patterns of others, not because those patterns aren't lovely, but because I've always liked creating things from scratch.  The challenge I've currently given myself is to see how many very different quilts I can design based on simple squares and rectangles, obviously one of the easier forms for any quilter to work with, but this gives me an opportunity to really concentrate on and play with color and pattern.  Here they are:

1)  Nearly finished - only needs about 2 more feet of it hand quilted, then will be set to go, in time for the holidays!



2) Gift for a friend.  Will be starting the hand-quilting by end of this week and taking it on a 3-day train trip with me - should have lots of time to work on it.

3) Gift-in-progress.   This one will still take a considerable amount of hand-work before it's completed, but then, the winter lies ahead, and the garden won't be calling me....

No comments:

Post a Comment