Monday, November 12, 2012

This Shirt...

"This shirt is old and faded
All the color's washed away
I've had it now for more damn years
Than I can count anyway
I wear it beneath my jacket
With the collar turned up high
So old I should replace it
But I'm not about to try" - Mary Chapin Carpenter -

This is one of my very favorite songs, not just because I have a couple of those old shirts, but because it reminds me of all the beloved, well-worn, deeply meaningful things that we hang onto.   

We have a tattered copy of an old children's book that was my husband's when he was little, which he read over and over to our sons when they were young.  There was a whole ritual around the reading of that book - the three of them cuddled up together in a big chair, my husband deliberately reading errors, the boys shouting corrections with great delight; they couldn't read yet, but they had memorized that book and loved that time with their Dad.  When we are gone, I suspect that's one piece of memorabilia they may fight over.

I have a collection of stones from favorite vacation places (what can I say - I'm a cheap date). When I look at one, I remember a particularly challenging and rewarding vacation in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area in northern Minnesota. Another one reminds me or our first trip to visit our oldest son who had moved to New Zealand, and wanted to share the many remarkable aspects of his new temporary home.  I have another one that I brought back from our second visit to New Zealand and placed on my mother's grave, since my son had been unable to travel home for her funeral. I have seashells from a visit to our younger son when he moved to live and work in Vancouver, BC, and others from the first long trip my husband and I took following our retirement.  I actually DO remember which is from which place, which trip - and they give me something tangible to touch as a remembrance, though I know that for many people a photo would do as well, or better.

My garden is filled with plants dug from relatives, previous homes, friends; when I walk through my yard, the daylilies and peonies remind me of my father in-law, the white hydrangea of my mom, the wild pink rose of our cottage, the primroses of my aunt, the clematis of my dearest friend, and a certain dark iris of her mother.  My garden walks are thus filled with the happiest of memories, and probably one of the reasons working in the yard is such a joy for me, rather than a tedious task.

It might be hard to explain to someone else why you've read a particular book so many times that the cover is coming off, but you wouldn't exchange it for a new copy. It might be impossible for others to understand why you bring a rock home from vacation, or move a plant from one home to the next over many years as you move, rather than just buying a replacement at the new place.  No one else HAS to really understand; it it's important to you, if it gives you deep comfort, or remarkable pleasure, or triggers fond memories, these keepsakes have value, whether old and faded or not.


6 comments:

  1. Liga! I get what you are saying here, and I agree. Tangible items can bring us very vividly to places that we have tucked away in our memories.

    I am very much like you. I like to have things -- not necessarily traditional souvenirs, to remember times that are very meaningful.

    I love that your garden is a living tribute to friends and family who are part of your life. How special to see these plants come back each year, bigger and stronger because of your love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have so many shirts that I should throwaway, but they are so comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Then hang on to them Dennis - comfort is key! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't begin to count the number of times I read to Matt, "I Can Lick 30 Tigers Today", by Dr Seuss. He knew it word for word. To this day that book holds a special place in my heart.

    I know how you feel with your plants and stones, I have wooden spoons that I cook with that belonged to my grandmother, mother, and your mother, Every time I pick one up I catch myself thinking of them and wondering what meals, cakes, or cookies they cooked with them. It's my connection to all of them. Such great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought I knew all the Dr. Seuss books, but I don't know "I Can Lick 30 Tigers Today" - I'll have to look it up.

    Remind me to also share with you a few of my Mom's favorite cookie recipes - then you can use her spoons as she used them, and enjoy the sweet results. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea of how you chronicle your life with stuff. That's for you and you alone and that's awesome. We all have little mementos like that and I think it's great that you shared this with us. I have a few t-shirts of my own that are like your stones. I have a few that go back 10+ years. They're worn and tattered but they're cool to wear around the house and it reminds me of past times when I wore it out with friends, family or loved ones.

    ReplyDelete